Monday, April 7, 2014

I've fallen...


I wasn't supposed to fall in love.

But somehow I did. It caught me off guard. I didn't just fall in love, I let it envelop and embrace me. I not only fell in love, I felt in love. 

With a city...
A city that continues to hold so many spaces for me to discover, to be safe, and to heal. 
A city whose light has taught my eyes to see things from the perspective of love, of understanding, and of compassion.
A city whose beauty has shown me to see the sparkle, the depth, and the meaning in moments, not in things.
A city whose vastness showed me my own beauty, creativity, and potential.
A city whose places welcomed my crazy, my hurt, my tears, and my stifled feelings.
A city whose people gave me an opportunity to fall gently into the places in which I've always belonged.

I fell in love because I wasn't supposed to fall in love. I had fallen in love with the lies that told me I didn't deserve to feel. I like kicking these lies' assess. I'm a rebel like that, I guess. Those lies told me I was incapable of finding joy, purpose, and beauty in life. I guess I'm glad I don't follow the "supposed to's" and the "supposed not-to's," because I discovered a secret treasure. I discovered my own heart, and my heart holds way too much love to ever be told that it cannot love or be loved.

Unfortunately, my love is not monogamous. I haven't just fallen in love with a city, I've fallen in love with beauty, with love itself, and in all the small, meaningless silly details of life. I've fallen so deep that I'm swimming in it. It surrounds me, and the city is just the beautiful space in which I can explore the possibilities for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment