Monday, May 27, 2013

Sweet Joy

My newest friend is a three-year-old, who today at an indoor Memorial Day picnic, wanted to get every last bit of melty ice cream from her bowl. She tipped it up, licked as much as she could from the little plastic bowl, set it down with a sigh of delicious satisfaction, squinted her adorable little eyes as she looked up and exclaimed, "Yum!" I giggled at her pure delight, but before I could even blink, she crawled on to my lap and gave me a sticky, ice-cream-faced kiss on my forehead. The well-meaning grown-up (not me) who was sitting alongside her looked at her and asked, "really? Was that necessary?"

She gazed at him innocently--which provided a very effective, pensive and dramatic pause, and very articulately stated, "Yes. Completely."

My heart melted just like that sticky ice cream at the bottom of her bowl. Such a wise and innocent little reminder that life means so much more when you get the most out of the sweet moments, and know without a doubt that your behavior was intentional, purposeful, and yes, completely necessary.

Ice cream is delightful. I love it. It goes perfectly with rhubarb/strawberry pie from my German heritage that made me quite a few friends today! I'm learning more and more every time I bake or cook that food really does do something more than provide our bodies with energy. I've been able to experience the deep connection between souls that food seems to bridge. There aren't words to describe this...it just sort of happens if we let it. Food was never meant to be evil. That was something that got distorted by evil thoughts and words from evil people.

I found joy through food today--and without the changes both mentally and physically that have taken place in my body, I would never have had that experience. The journey is worth it. It really is, even if only in the small flashing moments like I had today. 

---Peace, my friends.
Where is your joy?
 I do not know who most of you are--but for some reason it was on my heart tonight to wish peace, love, and healing to those of you who have taken the time to read some of my thoughts. I send love and joy to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you shared this joyful moment. I'm glad you enjoyed food! It gives me hope I'll get there too, that it is truly possible for food to be fun and not a source of guilt and self recrimination.

    I send those same thoughts back to you...

    ReplyDelete