Friday, April 5, 2013

Just a thought...

I can't seem to decide if I am easily amused, or just unusually grateful. I'm not sure that it really matters. Perhaps both are just fine.

Most 20-something-year-olds aren't spending their Friday nights like I am. I just spent over an hour listening to classical music (Baroque, actually. Bach was mostly a Baroque-era composer) laying on my bed, staring at my bedroom ceiling. For the most part, I did just stare at the ceiling. That is, until I discovered that when I moved my arm, the light from my lamp cast the shadow of my movement on to the ceiling. I was intrigued. I continued for some time to be somewhat mesmerized that moving my arms in different ways created beautiful, fluid, and interesting shadowed silhouettes on the ceiling. The lyric-less music made the movements seem almost magical as they floated across the ceiling. I never realized how cool shadows really are. I've never slowed down to notice what a little light can do. I must admit, I am amazed.

So, yes. I wonder. Easily amused or profoundly grateful for the little things? Yes, and I think both are perfectly beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Yay - I can comment now! I don't know what it is but I feel a real connection to your posts and your overall thinking.

    I love that you posted about this and I think it is something to be embraced wholeheartedly. I say this b/c it's exactly the sort of thing that I love but deny myself because I *should* be doing something else. I've wasted a lot of years feeling bad that I'm not doing the things I think other people are enjoying.

    I'm doing a lot of work right now in getting to know myself and accepting that the things that bring me joy are worthwhile BECAUSE they matter to me. Whether they would be fun or interesting to someone else is what I usually focus on, but I'm learning to see that what matters is what *I* think of them.

    Long winded way of saying I think both are perfectly beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm in much the same place of doing a lot of work in getting to know myself and accepting myself too. It's the scariest, but most fun and adventurous thing I have ever done. I've discovered that I LOVE adventure. I never felt as if I was allowed to try new things, or just do what feels good...until now, and honestly, the freedom has transformed me. Thank you for reading! I love writing about the little things in life that can be so joyful! It's truly what I believe is missing from the lives of so many!

    ReplyDelete