Saturday, April 13, 2013

laugh it up!


As I went to text to my sister asking her if we could have a play date today, I stopped and re-worded it to sound more "grown up," because I'm scared she might think I'm crazy if I say that. Even though I joke around about my silliness and lack of desire to grow up/act my age, etc., but I love making people laugh and smile just as much as I love it.  Here's why:
Being silly can actually make us healthier (and happier too, but that's a given). Acting silly, laughing, smiling, and playing are actually GOOD for you! Laughing, or even just smiling, signals the brain to switch out of the sympathetic nervous system (the nervous system that controls our fight/flight/freeze response) into the parasympathetic nervous system (responsible for calming & relaxing our bodies). Oh, and guess what? Our bodies can't tell the difference between a "fake" laugh/smile and an authentic one...the effects are the same! (So cool!) Laughing also makes us breathe more deeply and thus get more oxygenated blood into our hearts...and that's always a good thing! So...laugh until you're gasping to catch your breath! It's good for you! Or, just give the "ha ha, funny lame joke" laugh--your body will thank you either way! Just in case you don't believe me--here's a link.
Go do something fun today--I for one am going to blast my music and sing/dance to myself ALL the way on the hour+ drive to Ixonia. And yes, I hope somebody sees me looking ridiculous! No, I will not stop...because I bet they'll laugh at me. Then I've done my good deed for the day!



Here's a great link, just in case you want to know more! It's acutally quite fascniating!
 http://www.heartmdinstitute.com/v1/heart-healthy-lifestyles/mindbody-connection/laughter-medicine

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! When I lived a couple of hours away from my sis, there was a big highway I had to drive to see her (big, ugly, straight with no scenery kind of a drive)... you brought up memories of how I would "dance" down the road. I'm not normally a top 40 type of girl, but I would try and find the most girl-power-esque songs I could find and belt it out - so fun!!

    Enjoy your drive and your day :)

    ReplyDelete